NCBHH supports the professional development of its certificants. Recertification is required every three years. The preferred pathway is for certificants to recertify by completing 18 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) in the three domain areas covered by the certification exam over their three-year certification cycle. CEUs must be earned during the recertification cycle and must be relevant to the profession.
- Educational programs of allied health and other relevant professional associations
- Educational portions of programs sponsored by organizations or vendors on topics that maintain, update, or enhance knowledge or skills relevant to the profession.
- Instructing or teaching a class on relevant professional material
- Webinar or teleseminar educational programs relevant to the profession.
- Institutional education programs attended for non-degree credit at colleges or universities.
A minimum of 10 CEUs must be earned in the ICD-10 Coding domain. A minimum of 1 CEUs must be earned in each of the other domains. The remaining 6 CEUs may be distributed at the discretion of the certificant.
Topics in each domain may include, but are not limited to:
Health Information Documentation
- Electronic medical records management
- Health information software
- Privacy and security of health information
- Meaningful use
- Anatomy and physiology
- Coding convention updates
- ICD-10 (10 CEUs Required)
Regulatory Compliance and Reimbursement
- Legal compliance
- Regulatory updates
- Click here to start the recertification process. You will need to pay a $150 recertification fee paid either by credit card or check.
- Once payment is submitted, you will be asked to upload your CEU documentation to the Recertification course in the Learning Center for approval. All CEUs uploaded should include title of education, date completed, number of hours, and a valid certificate of completion. Submissions without a valid certificate of completion will not be accepted.
- Recertification requests will be reviewed at the end of every month. Those wanting to recertify in a specific month should ensure all 18 CEUs are submitted prior to the conclusion of that month.
- Once approved, you will receive notification of approval and a certificate indicating your renewed certification status.
For more information, please refer to our Recertification Handbook.
Please email email@example.com for information on recertification through retesting.